STRIVEVeteran’s STRIVE Program offered in partnership with the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University
Within the sphere of SLCC’s Everyday Entrepreneur Program (EEP), the Mill and VBRC, in conjunction with Syracuse University’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF), is offering our veterans the Startup Training Resources Inspiring Veteran Entrepreneurship (STRIVE) Program. IVMF entrepreneur programs have trained over 80,000 veterans by leveraging the skills, resources, and infrastructure of higher education institutions.
The IVMF STRIVE is an extensive review and deeper dive into the ways and means of starting your business as introduced in the EEP. It demonstrates SLCC’s, the Mill’s, and the VBRC’s commitment to those who have served our country in the military.
STRIVE Class Details
- The STRIVE program is a free entrepreneurship training program for Veterans, Reserve, National Guard members, and their spouses.
- Over the course of the program, participants will learn the skills needed to launch a successful business as well as gain post-program support from both the local and national IVMF network.
- The 12-week course is offered online and in a hybrid form (the option to attend in person or online) in weeks 2, 7, & 12.
- All classes are offered one evening a week from 5 pm to 7 pm for 12 weeks. Outside assignments will focus on real issues that need to be addressed as you validate your idea and move to market.
- Upon completion of the STRIVE Program, you will be able to:
Identify your target customers
Learn to complete the 3 basic types of research
Adopt an iterative Proceed, Pivot, or Punt approach to all stages of development
Use the tools necessary to determine the business & economic model that best serves you and your company
Learn how to rise above the noise through targeting marketing
Create proforma financials
Understand the basics of company financial controls
Create a pitch presentation
This program is broken down into three phases:
Test Your Idea
Before spending money, you will fine tune your targeted potential customer, contact a sample, and obtain valuable feedback to validate your idea. With this data you will create a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and Unique Value Proposition (UVP).
Determine if The Business is Viable
Create your business strategy by testing the business and economic models that offer the best opportunity. Confirm the potential with a 12-month forecast and marketing plan.
Armed with inclusive Business Plan, you are ready to evaluate sources of funding, acquire customers, and move to market.
All the classes will be offered online with an option to attend in-person Classes 2, 7, and 12. These sessions will be both online and in-person. If you choose to attend in-person, the class will be held on the Miller Campus of SLCC. The classroom will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Acceptance into the STRIVE Program
- The course is open to all veterans, active duty, reserve, guard, and their spouses.
- Space is limited & offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Documents required:
- - Résumé
- - Letter of Recommendation (one) - The writer should include the following:
- 1. Their position/title.
- 2. Their contact information.
- 3. How they know the applicant
- 4. Why they feel the applicant would be suited to entrepreneurship; their experience in working with the applicant, etc.
- - If applicable, VA Disability Rating OR proof of request for Disability Rating (PDF, .jpeg or .png)
- - DD214 Member 4 (showing dates of active duty, discharge status and SSN darkened) OR Leave and Earning Statement (LES) (PDF, .jpeg or .png)
- - Letter from commander acceptable if DD214 is delayed
- - To qualify for the Everyday Entrepreneur Venture Fund (EEVF) you must attend all classes.
- The availability of the EEVF seed fund is:
- Determined prior to registration for the STRIVE course.
- Dependent on preparation and execution of your EEVF application and the awarding of the funding is determined by an independent panel of experienced businesspeople, wholly outside the control of the VBRC.
- By registering and completing the STRIVE course, you acknowledge and commit to meeting monthly or more often with a VBRC Business Counselor for 12 months after the end of the course.
Upcoming Dates & Schedule
Application Deadline: TBA